Donald Trump came through with a surprise win in last night’s election to become the 45th President of the United States. Here are my takeaways from the biggest surprise in a Presidential elections since Truman beat Dewey:
- The enthusiasm gap was real. Donald Trump got about 1 million fewer votes than Mitt Romney received in 2012 and he still won. The reason is because Hillary Clinton received 7 million fewer votes than Obama did in 2012. She just did not inspire enough voters to turn out for her – especially the minority vote she pandered to.
- The racism/sexism cards failed for the Democrats. The accusations of racism and sexism about Trump and his voters on social media are even more hysterical today than they were before the election, but it doesn’t matter now. The left has called “wolf” too many times. They made the same accusation against Romney. They have used it so many times, it has finally lost its effectiveness. The left has to realize that disagreement does not make your opponent a racist or sexist.
- The Republican party is divided. The Democrats are going to fracture. The Bernie Democrats have a right to feel betrayed by a party that repeatedly acted unethically against their candidate and all for nothing. The DNC colluded against Sanders and it was all for nothing with Hillary’s loss to Trump. The DNC has an “end justifies the means” mentality. But they did not achieve their end.
- This election proves that the Democrat’s demonizing the Citizens United Supreme Court decision is just hot air. Hillary Clinton spent more than twice as much money as Donald Trump and lost. One calculation I saw was that Clinton spent $11 per vote and Trump $5 per vote. Special interest money is not the boogeyman the Democrats claim. That will take the wind out of their sales in a move to rewrite the 1st Amendment.
- The mainstream media is the biggest loser – especially CNN. Wikileaks email releases proved that CNN actively coordinated with the Hillary Clinton campaign to support her and work against Trump. Other major media figures attended events organized by her campaign. The MSM willingly sacrificed all pretense of objectivity in a failed attempt to elect their candidate. Their credibility is now beyond repair.
- Finally, remember when the left said it was a threat to democracy not to accept the results of the election? Now they are protesting Trump’s win in Chicago, San Francisco, Seattle, and other cities across the country. Once again proving that it is the left that is guilty of everything they accuse the right of being.